Ethel M. Taylor Academy is an elementary school serving Pre-K through 6th grade students in the Millvale, South Cumminsville, Camp Washington and North Fairmount neighborhoods.
The school was named after Ethel M. Taylor, who understood the needs of this community and worked to improve its quality of life. She also believed in the importance of getting a good education. In 1957, she led the crusade to keep a public school in the neighborhood, ensuring that there would always be a school for the community's children. When this building was completed in 2007, it was named after this community pioneer.
The school has continued on her proud tradition of community involvement. It is a Community Learning Center (CLC) where citizens, businesses, community organizations and public agencies all play a vital role in student success.
Taylor's CLC acts as a hub for community services, providing access for students and families to health, safety and social services, as well as recreational, educational and cultural opportunities.
Many community organizations are active at Taylor. Central Clinic and Children's Home provide services, such as mental health and character building for children and their families.
Several businesses provide volunteers, as well as donations, clothes and supplies.
"Taylor Academy prides itself as a neighborhood school that is close to home, where parents and students have easy access to a special environment. The school focuses on the students' academic, social and physical development in a caring learning environment. This fosters a relationship that allows each child to develop at his or her full potential."
— Barbara Anderson, Media Specialist
Who is Ethel M. Taylor?
Ethel M. Taylor: June 29, 1915 – October 25, 1996
A True Pioneer
Ethel M. Taylor was a true pioneer, and the original crusader of the community. She understood the needs of the community and diligently worked to improve the quality of life for those around her.
Ms. Taylor believed firmly in the importance of getting a good education. In 1957 she began her crusade to ensure that the former Millvale School was built after the closing of Garfield School. As the President of the Community Council, her priority was to ensure there would always be a school for the children of the community.
Ms. Taylor established recreation for the children, and she initiated a self-sufficiency program using the laundromat and library to establish a work program for the residents. She was a pioneer for human rights and the dignity of her people, and she was a Board of Health Commissioner who worked to get sidewalks and street lights for the community.
Ms. Taylor networked with local and national groups and politicians to be sure that the needs of the neighborhood were met. Because of her good deeds and genuine love for the community, it was deemed fitting and appropriate to honor her memory by naming our beautiful new facility in her honor.
Ms. Taylor would be proud to walk the halls of our beautiful $10.5 million, 67,000 square foot school that offers the students some of the following:
- A large media center with adjoining computer lab
- New science lab
- New gymnasium — a first for the students of our community
- Five extended learning areas that provide additional space to provide interventions and services to the students
- State of the art video and sound system
- Spacious rooms for providing music, art, speech & language services
- Brand new furniture
- And enough space for us to continue to grow in for years to come.
The community now has a Community Learning Center where citizens, businesses, community organizations, and public agencies can all play a vital role in student success.